Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Style of Chen Style

I was practising my Chen style old frame first routine today, when my teacher pointed out the same mistake that I have been making. I have been practising my Chen style as though it is Yang style. My movements are too slow, without much change in rhythm. It is like Yang style with Chen movements.

In the past, I had been practising my Chen style very slowly because I was trying to pay attention to the details, as well as to build up a good foundation (aka leg muscles). But now, it seems that my old training habit is actually hindering my progress. I am so used to the slow rhythm, that I find it hard to change the rhythm to be in line with Chen style.

I guess it is time to change my training routine, such that I use the different styles to help myself improve. First, to use Yang style to build up my foundation, to continue to practise it slowly so that I can work up those leg muscles, at the same time work on relaxing and turning my kua. Next is to practise Chen style as it should be, with a proper rhythm that changes over the whole routine, and at the same time visualising the application of the movements. Finally, once I get Chen style sorted out, I may embark on learning Sun style to add that spring to my movements.

No comments: