Sunday, February 08, 2009

Be Like Water, Keep Flowing In

Today, one of my fellow students commented that I was more aggressive than usual during our pushing hands session. But reflecting on my own actions, I don't think I was any more aggressive than before. So what was the difference today?

I adopted the mentality of being like water, to keep trying to flow in, to seep myself into every opening. Every time there was an opening, I would move in to take it. When my opponent's force came, I withdrew and avoided meeting it head on. But once that force is gone, I moved in to take its place. I told myself that I must be like the rising tide, flowing back each time, but to come rushing back each time just a bit more. Maybe this unrelenting spirit was what made me seem more aggressive today.

No comments: