Sunday, July 29, 2012

Just Move Right In

After a few occasions in which one of my pushing hands partners kept playing rough, I got a bit of advice from my teacher. Basically, it is nothing new, he just reminded me that it is most important to continue to be relaxed, all the more so when your opponent is tensed up (like when he is playing rough). Then, once you sense his brute force, relax some more, then move right back in at him.

It was good advice. I tried it, and it worked. I could neutralise his force and use it again him. But it only made him more rough, and became even more tense. And the more tense he became, the easier it was for me to neutralise his force and use it against him. In the end, it was a vicious cycle, and I had to break off in order not for anyone to get hurt.

Lesson? Staying relaxed (mentally and physically) is key. Not overly focused on winning (and thus, not overly concerned about losing) is key.

No comments: