Saturday, August 18, 2012

Too Rough!

I almost broke someone's arm yesterday during pushing hands practice.

I was pushing hands with a new student (he has learnt taiji from someone else, apparently, so he is not new to taiji or pushing hands) but his arms were very stiff. During one of the rounds, I managed to get his arm between my arm and my torso. I was going to give a slight twist to see if I can lock his arm... except that when I twisted softly, I heard a crack. I was so shocked; oh no, what if I had broken his arm? I immediately broke off... good thing his arm was okay. I didn't realise that his arm was that stiff, that a simple turning of my torso actually did more than lock his arm... while his arm "cracked" because he was too stiff, I still think it is a manifestation of my inability... that I still have some way to go, because I was not able to discern exactly how stiff his arm was and thus I was unable to use just enough force to lock his arm, without making his arm "crack".

No comments: