Sunday, April 15, 2012

Turning the Force Away

Coming back to practise after a long break is very rewarding. Back in Japan, I could only practise by myself, without a teacher to guide me or an partner to practise pushing hands. Now, it is time for me to recognise my problems again, with the advice of my teacher, as well as the issues that surface when pushing hands.

I have recently written about the basics of peng, turn and push. Today, I again realise the importance of the kua in turning away my opponent's force (that is to say, neutralising his force). After peng, if I just turn my forearm, I am only able to divert away my opponent's force if he is using brute force. And I somehow feel it is using my own force. Today, I realised that the kua has a very important part to play. If I link the turning of my kua to the turning of my forearm, I am able to divert away my opponent's force, no matter how big or small it is. It is a basic principle that I am rediscovering after the long break, and a very important principle too.

No comments: