Sunday, April 08, 2012

Drawing Circles With the Knees

After a year away from Singapore, I am finally back and going to Mr Kwek's classes again. Due to insufficient practice over the last year, my legs are no longer as strong and I am a bit raw when pushing hands. But with hard work, I think I should be able to get back to where I was before I left.

One point that Mr Kwek brought up that still left me a bit confused. He mentioned that in silk reeling, the legs (best seen in the movement of the knees) turn in circles, 180 degrees out of phase. For example, both knees should be turning out, one after the other. And vice versa. I can understand this for certain silk reeling movements, but I wonder how it coordinates with two-hands silk reeling. For example, while the right hand may be turning out, the left hand is actually coming in. So should the knees still be drawing outward circles? It then becomes awkward for the left hand. But getting the knees to draw opposite circles seem weird too.

Back to basics as I try to regain strength in my legs, and it should give me time to try and figure this out.

No comments: