Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Turning My Kua

Just when I thought I had it figured out, I found out that I was wrong.

I had thought that turning my kua meant that when I my weight is on my right leg, and I want to shift over to my left leg, I should sink my left kua and then use my right leg to push myself to the left. Turns out that this is only half the story, and thus, the wrong way to do things.

During a short discussion on Chen style silk reeling exercise (a basic taiji exercise that is often used as a warm-up), my teacher pointed out to me that my kua movement is wrong, resulting in me turning my backside rather than my kua. The right way to turn my kua is actually as follows.

When my weight is on my right leg, in order to shift to my left leg, I need to sink my left kua and at the same time, as I am sinking my left kua, I need to be pushing to the left with my right leg. Thus, both my left and right kua are moving at the same time.

The difference? The previous/wrong method has me moving my left and right kua sequentially, while the correct method is to move them together.

No comments: