Saturday, July 26, 2008

Slow But Fast

My previous post talked about doing my routine faster. Well, that is not the way to go. Nope, in fact, doing my routine seems like I am rushing through things, and in the end, nothing is achieved.

The key, it seems, is not to do the routine faster, but to do the routine slow, yet know where to increase the speed. So while the whole routine is done at a slow pace, there will be occasions when the rhythm picks up. In that way, the routine doesn't appear monotonous, yet it doesn't seem to be a mad rush. I guess this is what is meant by 快慢相济.

So the important thing for me now is to practise and practise, until I get the timing correct.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In TT Liang's Yang taiji, each movement is done with a set number of beats. Example, single whip (6 beats) vs Raise Hands (2 beats). At first, I reallly did not like this but over time, it can be used to show some of the dynamics and tempo changes that can occur.