Thursday, September 27, 2012

Getting Out of Tight Spots

I was pushing hands today with one of my fellow students when things got a bit too rough. I locked his arms and he try to struggle to break free, only making it easier for me to lock his arms even tighter. It got to a point in which I had to adjust my lock for fear of breaking his arm. When things got to such a rough stage, I quickly told him that the arm will break if he continues to use strength. He continued to struggle, but I was in a very good and forgiving mood today so I just tried my best not to hurt him. Eventually, I was able to adjust until I could release his arms without getting hurt myself (from his brute force struggling).

He came out of it saying that sometimes, even if it is dangerous, we should still try to see if we can get out of tight spots. To me, it is not worth it. I practise pushing hands not to see if I am better than others. I practise pushing hands not to see if I can get out of tight spots. I practise pushing hands to learn to relax, to learn to use my opponent's force against him, and thus, to avoid being in a tight spot in the first place.

The best way to get out of a tight spot is not to get in there in the first place.

No comments: