Friday, May 30, 2008

A Slip

I let slipped my hand today.

And was told that I slipped because I was resisting, that I was using brute force to resist my opponent's force. And it was true. So I slipped, in all sense of the word. I was resisting my opponent's force, when I should have been trying to let him have his way, to redirect his force away.

So I decided that I won't let that happen, that I will let my next opponent have his way. And I did. He wants to push? I let his push, then tried to neutralise his force and return it to him. He wants to pull? I let him pull, and use his pull to close in to him. He wants to play rough, to grab and lock arms? I gave him a taste of his own techniques, by locking his arms. It was wrong, but I decided that enough was enough when he just wouldn't let up and continued to push my limits. Here I was, trying my best to learn the finer techniques of pushing hands, and yet he continued to use brute force and play rough. So I decided to give him a taste of his own medicine, only that I tried as much as possible to cause him pain only when he uses force.

Is this right? No. Do I feel good about it? Actually, no. But I think it helps me, because everytime I make a mistake, and let my anger take over, I chastise myself and move one step closer towards better control over myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

IMHO the main idea behind push hands is to give back to your opponent what he/she is attacking you with.
If he/she is attacking you with brute force, you should answer him/her with the same energy/force.
There is nothing to feel bad about, no ?

Teck said...

I think the spirit of taiji is to live in harmony. While it is a skill that allows one to return someone's force back to him, you should control the amount of force that you return so as to achieve your aim. If you can treat your opponent with respect and calm even if he is short-tempered and unsportmanlike, you would have won over yourself, which is even more important than winning over others. For the biggest enemy is often oneself.