Saturday, April 19, 2008

Committed!

The other day during pushing hands, I was taught how to lu 捋 properly.

The important thing is to wait for your opponent to commit his force. A common mistake of mine is that one I sense his force coming, I try to divert it away. While this meant that my opponent is unable to push me, it also means that I am deflecting his force away without causing him to lose balance, since his centre of gravity is still well within his two feet.

My teacher demonstrated how to do it properly. He let me push. All the way, until my hands are close to his body. Then he used peng and lu to first deflect my force away, then draw me off balance. Because I have committed my force and my centre of gravity was near it extremities, a little help from my teacher and I lost my balance.

It reinforces the principle of "don't be afraid of losing". Allow your opponent to commit his force before you act, because otherwise, while you won't lose, you won't win either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Just wandering on the net looking for other push hands enthusiasts. Encouragement to you from Southern Oregon, USA. If you are interested, I have written a book on push hands that covers a lot of material not usually found in writing.
Check it out at http://www.nando-r.com/MN.asp?pg=pro200.

warmly,
Nando Raynolds