Friday, July 13, 2007

A Step Back

I think I have came up against a block. After pushing hands today, somehow, I felt tired in my arms. Which means I must have been using brute force. Otherwise, why would my upper arms be tired? But I was trying my best to relax... yet, I end up using force. Why? I was trying to peng away my opponent's force. I was trying to shift my weight, and through that, turn my kua and from there turn away my opponent's force. But somehow, the force generated by me trying to turn my kua just doesn't get translated to my arms. So in the end, I still end up using brute force to turn away my opponent's force. So the more force he uses, the more force I had to use to turn it away.

So how do I transfer the force generated at my kua up to my arms? I wished I know... guess it means a lot more practise with my forms. I must admit that I have been lax in my practice of late, because I was down with a cold and also because of work. Somehow, that must have shown today when I was pushing hands. The force generated just wasn't being used. And I end up doing what I tell others not to do - use brute force. I tell others to relax, yet I myself was unable to do so.

11 comments:

Wong Koi Hin said...

Hi there, love your Taiji blog as well as Teck's Treehouse. I am a Yang-style student for about a year now and I am hoping to learn Chen-style and more importantly push-hands. May I ask where is your class being conducted and whether I can join? I can be contacted at koihin AT gmail.com Thank you for your time and reply!

Anonymous said...

hi koi hin, if you like to meet other people interested in looking deeper into taiji and push hands you can find them at taijikinesis.wordpress.com

Wong Koi Hin said...

Hi anonymous, thanks for the link! When I went to the site, the posts seem to be password protected. How may I get the password?

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

an email has been sent to you at koihin@gmail.com on how to access taijikinesis

Anonymous said...

hi teck, i’m organizing an informal gathering on 28 Jul at either Botanic Gardens in the morning from 0800-0930 hrs or later at Bras Basah Complex from 1100-1230 hrs. interested to come along to meet other fellow practitioners? you can email me at zen.mind.sword@gmail.com

mushin(taijikinesis.wordpress.com)

Teck said...

Guess I will have to give it a pass, just came back from an overseas trip (work) and will probably be spending the weekend writing reports.

wushukid said...

Hi anonymous , can i get access to taijikinesis.wordpress.com
as well please.
And Koihin, I am learning from Paul Lam's DVD chen taiji 36 forms. It is very detailed. I highly recommend it.
dezhi.liang@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

hi teck, i am checking to see if there is any interest for people to meet on 9 Aug morning at Botanic Gardens for a "get to know your push hands" gathering - ZMS

Teck said...

Yes, ZMS, I am interested, as long as work doesn't get in the way. It may be holiday but kind of busy recently (got a deadline to meet) though I will be there if I can make it.

Anonymous said...

hi teck, could you please email me at zen.mind.sword@gmail.com so that i can give you the details including my contact number - ZMS

Anonymous said...

1. Dezhi - have emailed you info on how to access taijikinesis

2. Teck - have not heard from you but the gathering is 7-8.30 am on 9 Aug at National Orchid Centre, Botanic Gardens. We'll be between the taiji group led by a lady instructor and the qigong group on the side facing the National Orchid Centre

3. Dezhi - you are welcome to come along


ZMS