Sunday, November 26, 2006

Using Your Opponent's Strength

Yesterday, I was talking to my teacher, and asking him how to use an opponent's strength against him. It is a question that surfaced during a pushing hands session. I could sense that my opponent was using brute force, causing his whole body to become stiff. But I was unable to exploit this.

When someone uses brute force to push, his whole body becomes stiff. The way to exploit this is to use your waist to turn and ward off (peng) the attack. Continue the motion and the direction of his force will be altered away from your body. If he is leaning forward, continue to lead his force forward, and he will eventually fall as his centre of gravity is brought outside the support of his legs. Not using brute force is very important. When an opponent pushes, do not resist his push with brute force, or it will be ding. Relax (song), then use peng to divert the force away from yourself.

No comments: